Thursday, June 16, 2016

Great-Grandpa Jim? Today?

I had driven 400 miles from West Virginia to be present for the birth of my first great-grandson. My second eldest granddaughter, Brittney Suzanne, was giving us this gift, but I'm sure she will be keeping him all to herself for a while.


This is a photo I took of the courtyard at the hospital the very morning my first great-grandson was born in Noblesville, Indiana. With all the other watchful family visitors, this area gave me some peace. I also had a severe asthma thing going on which required ER treatment later in the day.


It was too warm to light the gas log, but having it there was aesthetically pleasant.


They make the maternity waiting rooms much more comfortable these days. I remember metal chairs and a granite floor when my son was born, but that was in 1968. I remember in a different hospital a small room with old dog-eared magazines for expectant fathers when my daughter was born in 1973. It was very early in the middle of the night and I tried to nap this time. I had been assured by the doctor that all would be normal and I had to go to work in the morning. I had done the pacing and hand-wringing the night my son was born.


I was the last to get permission to hold our young family addition, but I was grateful to be on the list. Great grandpa and tiny newborn, Zane. Babies now come with hats.  (Hey, don't judge our appearances, we both had been up all night.

Here he is... little Zane.


So very, very tiny. I still bet he'll be walking in a year.

Happy Birthday, little one. April 27, 2015.

Posted from my Kindle Fire App. Testing...1 ..2..3.  Hey! It works!

-30-


No comments:

Post a Comment